Monday, June 06, 2005

Nightmare for Hindi love

I have I8N and I10N all working on my fedora core 3 install for Hindi language. I was not doing layout switching for keyboard which was the cause for all this pain @#$#@!$ !@#$. Hello open sores developers documentation please ! please !!
Now one might wonder why this post is in English. That is what makes me acid piss all over the font creators. why oh why bless the holy free workers of the world (Gargi / Lohit font creators you know i am talking to you) not create a font that mimics the keyboard layout that maps hindi to english characters based on intutive sounds. Instead now i have to sit down and learn a new keyboard mappings. That is just plain F****ed up. This is so silly yet painful it makes me hurt and laugh at the same time. The same feeling one gets when drinking pan galactic gargle blaster.
I must say it has been 2 days and i already miss the games from Windows XP environment. Please don't tell me the shit silly tex racer is a game because it's for 8 year olds. Maybe next month i will get me a new computer. Check out http://www.techbargains.com.
I am also grumpy because i ate some desi food over the weekend which was 1/2 degree of separation from going down the trash can and now i have a rather sensitive stomach.
Did i also say that Phoenix is hot these days. Its not hot like Bhopal or Kanpur but hot enough to be uncomfortable. I have to get shades, more for looking at the skimpy dressed hotties walk around.

6 Comments:

Blogger eSwami said...

Bird watching is illegal in Phoenix without some cool poloroid shades. oh! I miss that place!!

I am talking with my "desi user/programmer dude" perspective -
Practically speaking, you got to have at least one windows based box/laptop around - no matters how good you are Linux will test your patience. so I'd get a windows based machine, a router, and use samba to share stuff between them!

If you are not into dual monitors, I use KVM switch to share the same keyboard,mouse,monitor with the two boxes. Things are easier if the win machine is a laptop and you got a wireless router.

A fiend wanted to play with Linux, loaned my box and messed it up - This is the best way to learn I guess. I am thinging of ver upgrade, will do it soon. Let see how bumpy my ride gets!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Kalicharan said...

I have 2 boxes as of now , one with Gentoo (don't ask why) and other with Fedora core 3 (use to be XP). Its all good for a few weeks till i get a killer deal for a Dell (desk/lap)top.

Fedora Core 3 is a breeze. It took me total of 4 hours starting from scratch. Most of that was getting hindi to work with Open Office.

9:34 AM  
Blogger आलोक said...

why oh why bless the holy free workers of the world (Gargi / Lohit font creators you know i am talking to you) not create a font that mimics the keyboard layout that maps hindi to english characters based on intutive sounds

ग़लत इंसान को कोस रहे हैं आप। ये जो फ़ॉण्ट हैं उनका कुञ्जीविन्यास से दूर दूर तक कोई वास्ता नहीं है। कुञ्जीविन्यास निर्धारित होता है कीमॅप फ़ाइल से। उसी फ़ॉण्ट में आप कोई भी कु़ञ्जीविन्यास काम में ला सकते हैं। आप चाहे तो इण्डलिनक्स को अपना कुञ्जीविन्यास दे सकते हैं, वे अगले फ़े़डोरा में डाल देंगे।

दोयम यह कि आप क्यों समझते हैं कि क्वर्टी के हिसाब से ही देवनागरी अक्षर ढाले जाएँ? कई लोग अंङ्ग्रेज़ी जाने बगैर भी हि्न्दी लिखना चाहेंगे। उनके लिहाज़ से इसका कोई तात्पर्य नहीं होंगा। हम लोग उस श्रेणी में नहीं आते लेकिन अन्य तो हैं।

11:20 PM  
Blogger आलोक said...

बहरहाल, मैं भी अपने रॅड हॅट 8 को फ़ेडोरो 3 में बदलने के फ़ेर में हूँ। उसमें आपको हिन्दी के स्थल ठीक से दिखते हैं, फ़ायर्फ़ॉक्स या मोज़िला की मदद से?

11:22 PM  
Blogger Kalicharan said...

yup firefox/ mozilla are awsome on fedora core 3. You are right on both accounts, but i feel qwerty based systems are the ones probably most used and hence should be supported for keymappings. Do you know any keymap files i can use ?

12:27 AM  
Blogger आलोक said...

Do you know any keymap files i can use ?
बोलनागरी नाम का एक है,
इण्डलिनक्स डाउन्लोड स्थल पर।
बहरहाल मैं अपने लॅप्टॉप पर फ़ेडोरा कोर ४ चढ़ा चुका हूँ। बढ़िया है।

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home